One of my traveling companions lost his passport at the Madrid Airport and it made me think what would I do if I lost mine. I started to do some research and realized that it is quite an annoying thing when this happens. However, it is survivable and unfortunately, happens quite a bit.
Here are some tips to help you in case this happens to you.
- Don’t Panic. This is the first thing we will do as we are humans. But if you keep a cool head you will be much better off.
- Check With The Airport Lost and Found. If lost at the airport check with the Lost and Found Department. Ditto for bus and train stations. Realize that people leave a lot things behind, so if they don’t seem caring its that this happens all the time so they are just annoyed about having to do the same thing all the time. You’ll have to call back to check on a daily basis to see if it turned up.
- Report It To The Police. Some consulates require a Police Report; if you are a U.S. citizen, one is also needed, but it is not required in some countries, so check with the local U.S. Embassy. You also can’t return to the country without one. Some countries will give you a special travel document so you can return to your country of citizenship.
- Report It To The Local Embassy. Contact your embassy in the country where you lost the passport and report the situation. This may mean a visit to the embassy which may be tedious, but you have to do it.
- Make A Copy Of Your Passport. Of course you should do this before you begin your journey as the Embassy will need some sort of proof that you are a citizen. Hopefully you’ll have some other forms of ID with you. But they are accustomed to this occurrence, so they will help you get through it.
- Pay The Fee. If you’ve also lost your wallet with all your money, this makes it difficult, however, if you had credit cards, you can call the companies, have them cancel the cards and send new ones to the place you are staying. Usually this happens in 24 hours depending on the company.
- U.S. State Department Lost Passport Information
- Australia Passport Information
- Canada Passport Office Lost Passport Information
- United Kingdom Passport Information