I have to tell you about this little town I happened upon recently. I needed to get from Hamburg, Germany to Gibraltar and the fares were quite high and I had to connect via London or some other U.K. city to make it happen. I have air miles, but could not swing it either. But I found out that Jerez is not far away (it actually is, but is the closest alternate airport :-)) and Condor (DE) has a flight from Hamburg (HAM) to Jerez (XRY).
I got a good fare for about 70 EUR or so and flew the Airbus A320 down.
I also learned that this is the town of sherry, although I did not have any while I was there.
Here are some things about the city you may find helpful on your next visit:
- Home Airline: None.
- Scheduled Service Airlines Serving La Parra Airport (XRY): Air Berlin (AB), Air Mediterranee (ML), Air Nostrum (YW), Arkefly (OR), Condor (DE), Edelweiss Air (WK), Europe Airpost (5O) Finnair (AY), Germania (ST), germanwings (4U), Iberia Express (I2), Iberia (IB), Icelandair (FI), Jetairfly (TB), Lufthansa (LH), Luxair (LG), Niki Luftfahrt (HG), Privilege Style (P6), Ryanair (FR), Thomas Cook Belgium (HQ), TUIfly.com and select charter airlines.
- Cargo Airlines Serving La Parra Airport (XRY):
- Airport Web site: La Parra Airport (XRY) http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Jerez/en/. Here are also some social media links so you can keep in touch and communicate with them if necessary:
- Airport To The City: You can find additional information here. Some highlights are below:
- Train – Take the renfe which is located across from the airport. Purchase your ticket a the kiosk. Jerez is in one direction and Cadiz in the other.
- Bus – There is a local bus M-050 that takes about 30 minutes to get to Jerez. You can also go to neighboring Cadiz. More bus info is located here.
- Airport Taxi – Grab a cab to your hotel from the taxi stand just outside the terminal on arrival
- Airport Hotels: I did not see any so I think you have to head into the town. Book your hotels here.
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Language: Spanish, English is not widely spoken.
- Visa Information: No visa is required for U.S. citizens and you can stay up to 90 days. Plus your passport must be valid for at least three months after your departure date. Other citizens should check with the Spanish consulate/embassy in your region for specifics. Alternatively, you can use the IATA Web site for visa/health requirements.
Places Worth Seeing in Jerez
Just walk around the town and enjoy it. There are lots of churches, restaurants and bars to choose from. There is also a market make sure you check it out.
Recommend Hotels I’ve Stayed
I was also trying to find somewhere to stay and ended up locating this little place called Hotel Serit. The guy at the front who spoke not much English was quite nice and showed me the room before I entered. I locked it in right away and ended up stating there two nights. I paid 70 EUR for the two nights in total inclusive of taxes.