Ah, Singapore, one of my favorite cities and airport in this part of the world. With it three-terminal airport, where it seems that you can get almost anything you want, it can be quite daunting at times. But not to worry, here’s your Guide:
- Home Airline: Singapore Airlines (SQ) a member of the Star Alliance and SilkAir (MI).
- Scheduled Service Airlines Serving Changi International Airport (SIN): Air Asia Malaysia (AK), Air Asia Indonesia (QZ), Air New Zealand (NZ), Air Asia X (D7), Air India (AI), Bangkok Airways (PG), British Airways (BA), Cathay Pacific (CX), China Airlines (CI), China Southern (CZ), Delta Air Lines (DL), Emirates (EK), Etihad (EY), firefly (FY), Garuda Indonesia (GA), EvaAir (BR), Jet Airways (9W), Jetstar (3K), Korean Airlines (KE), Lufthansa (LH), Mai (8M), Malaysia Airlines (MH), Malindo Air (MO), Mihin Lanka (MJ), Qatar (QR), Phillipines Airlines (PR), Royal Brunei (BI), Silkair (MI), Singapore Airlines (SQ), Scoot (TZ), Thai Airways (TG), Tigerair (TR), Thai Airways (TG), Vietjetair.com (VJ), Vietnam Airlines (VN), Virgin Atlantic (VS), Virgin Australia (VA), Xiamen Air (MF) and select charter airlines.
- Airport Web site: Changi International Airport (SIN) http://www.changiairport.com/. Here’s an article about things you can do in Changi; its like a little city. Airport secret: Ask one of the employees to show you where is the staff canteen. You will get the best local very cheaply. There is a different price for the locals than foreigners, but the price is still cheap. It is not easy to find, that’s why you have to ask someone.
- Airport To The City: You can find additional information here. Some highlights are below:
- Local Bus – Route #36 stops at all the three Terminals
- Train – The Green line (East West) runs to the airport between 5:30a and 11:55p. You will need local money to buy a single ticket at the kiosk. But if you buy a card, you can use a credit card. The ticket counter is not open early. I think it opens at 8a.
- Shuttle Bus – 9 SGD
- Airport Taxi – Grab a cab from your hotel or call a local cab
- Airport Hotels: The closest hotel is the Crowne Plaza which is actually in the airport itself. Just follow the signs. If you are in transit for less than 6 hours and want to rest your head, there is a Transit Hotel. Book your hotels below:
- Currency: Singapore Dollar (SGD)
- Language: English is spoken widely. There is also a local Singaporean dialect.
- Visa Information: No visa is required for U.S. citizens and you can stay up to 90 days. Other citizens should check with the Singaporean consulate/embassy in your region for specifics. Alternatively, you can use the IATA Web site for visa/health requirements.
Places Worth Seeing in Singapore and also Shopping
The country is full of gems, but here are a few to whet your appetite:
- Bugis for shopping
- Clarke Quay area for nightlife
- Gardens by the Bay
- Marina Bay Sands Hotel
- Have a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel
- Singapore Botanical Gardens
- Singapore Flyer – Ferris Wheel
- Orchard Road – Upscale shopping
- Little India
- the Tech Hall – for all your electronics needs
Places To Stay
Singapore has no shortage of hotels. The Marina Bays Sands and the Raffles hotels are two of the finest and most famous in the world. Use this widget to book your hotel in Singapore. Hotelscombined compares the local hotels for you from different sources so you don’t have to.