Texas > China | Moscow | Nome | Palestine | Paris | Ravenna | Sudan | Turkey
Welcome To Moscow, Texas
Not much goes on in Moscow it seems. It’s a small town whose name is actually derived from the Moscow in Russia. I can’t find any reason why. The history notes say that the town’s original residents wanted it named after them “Greenville,” but the Post Office rejected the application and named it Moscow.
One thing you can help but notice are the many pine trees as you approach the town. It’s pretty amazing to see them.
As with many of these towns, the railroad runs through it, but no longer makes a stop.
Read more about the city’s history…
As far as I can see, today, it’s a one-gas station town with the post office right next to it. It’s not longer the largest town in the county of Polk and people go to Livingston to take care of business.
Quick Moscow, Texas Facts
Here are some quick facts:
- Established – 1841
- County – Polk
- Population – 170 (2000)
- ZIP Code – 75960
- Nearest larger city – Livingston, Texas (15.7 miles/21.5 kilometers)
International Country With The Same Name As Moscow, Texas
Moscow, Texas shares its name with the country of Russia.
You can find more information about Russia and Moscow at https://www.visitrussia.com/citiesguide/moscow/moscow.htm.
Where Is Moscow, Texas
Moscow is located in Polk county on US 59 in the state of Texas just north of Houston and south of Nacogdoches.
Nearest Airports To Moscow, Texas
- Houston-George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) – 71 miles/114.26 kilometers
- Beaumont/Port Arthur – Jack Brooks Regional Airport (BPT) – 82 miles/131.97 kilometers
- Houston-William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) – 92 miles/148.06 kilometers
- College Station-Easterwood Airport (CLL) – 94 miles/151.28 kilometers
- Tyler-Tyler Pounds (TYR) – 109 miles/175.42 kilometers
- Lake Charles Regional Airport, Lake Charles, Louisiana (LCH) – 110 miles/177.03 kilometers
You can also use this app to find nearest airports to anywhere you are located.
Places To Stay In Moscow, Texas
There are no formal accommodations in the city where you can rent. You can stay in nearby Livingston or Lufkin. There is apparently a bed & breakfast, but I missed it, it seems.
Places To Eat In Moscow, Texas
I could only find the Sunoco gas station that has a Hunt Brothers Pizza place inside.
Things To Do In Moscow, Texas
I couldn’t find anything except enjoy the pine trees that are everywhere and the fields.
Tourism Bureau/Chamber of Commerce Information For Moscow, Texas
You can find out more about what’s going on in Moscow, Texas by visiting the Polk County Chamber of Commerce website.